Welcome back for your quarterly visit!
As always, it makes no sense how 2017 is already halfway over. The good news is that I’ve got some resolution updates for you. The better news is that I want to start bringing back some weekly content. Maybe not exactly the same format as the “What I Learned” stuff I’ve done before but something similar.
But that’s for another day! So let’s jump right in!
- 15 Books:
- 2Q projection – 7.5
- 2Q actual – 7
- I’m slowly catching up a little bit. Three books the first quarter and now four this quarter. I finished The Fireman by Joe Hill, The Dry by Jane Harper, Harry Potter & The Cursed Child by JK Rowling, and finally wrapped up Halo: The Cole Protocol by Tobias Buckell Sunday morning. I really enjoyed The Fireman. I feel like there was a big gap this quarter where I didn’t get a lot read. I also wasn’t crazy about the Halo book, so it drug on a little long and I didn’t prioritize finishing it up until this weekend. Next quarter, I want to do better. I’ve started The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. My mom’s new book Edisto Stranger is on my bookshelf. And I want to try to reread The Gunslinger and maybe The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King before The Dark Tower movie comes out in August.
- 365 Miles:
- 2Q projection – 182.50
- 2Q actual – 64.80
- This goal is dying a slow death but I’m keeping it on life support for the time being. I’ve put more miles in this quarter than I did last, so I’m moving in the right direction. Just not fast enough. It also doesn’t help that I hate… no, loathe… summer. I’m a hot-natured person, so running in the summer is the worst. But I’ve been a little more disciplined lately. So breaking 100 miles by next update?
- 4 House Projects:
- 2Q projection – 2
- 2Q actual – 3
- I’m going to fudge this one a bit. My periwinkles were delivered and my dad came to help plant them. It wasn’t a failure, as they’re not dead yet. But I wouldn’t chalk it up as a success quite yet since they’re still roughly the same size when I planted them. Grow please? I also have nearly all of my pictures up on the wall. I have three posters left and I’m debating on whether I want to leave them in a bedroom or let them spread their wings and fly in the foyer/hallway. Somehow, I also managed to buy two rugs that work really well with my furniture and a doormat that’s more awesome than yours.
- 83% LTV:
- 2Q projection – 84.0%
- 2Q actual – 83.0%
- This quarter has been eye opening at how big of a difference a little extra money on a mortgage payment goes. I’m lucky enough to have the freedom at the moment to put about $200 extra on my payment. If I did that for the entire life of the loan, I’d pay off a 30 year mortgage in 13 years. $200 more a money more than halves how quick you can pay a house off. That blows my mind. I should be able to remove my mortgage insurance in January, less than a year after buying the house. By then, I should be rolling off the balances of some of the appliances I bought on credit, so if I really wanted to get aggressive, the opportunity’s there. I’ve also been able to build back up my savings enough to finally open an Ally Savings account. I feel a little bad that it’s taken a year since working there to finally open an account. But hey… I’ll take 1.05% on my money instead of the 0.05% I’m getting at Bank of America. Financial goals are fun!
- 1 Website:
- 2Q projection – An “Under Construction” 1990s HTML jpg?
- 2Q actual – …Crickets
- Yeah… about this… Probably not gonna happen…
- 12,000 Gamerscore:
- 2Q projection – 6,000
- 2Q actual – 2,040
- Maybe I don’t have plenty of time. I have played a lot of The Witcher 3 but it’s a huge game, so the achievements don’t pop very often. At some point, I may replay through TellTale’s The Walking Dead seasons when the 3rd one eventually goes on sale, which should net me an easy 2,500 or so. I should pick up a few in Destiny 2 before the end of the year. Life is Strange, Tacoma, and Cuphead (seriously… watch the video below) are smaller games coming out I may pick up. So realistically, we’re looking at something closer to 6,000 points than 12,000? But I’d be happy with that!
The 2nd Quarter is where goals start separating themselves into the “gonna finish early”, “made a valiant effort”, and “never gonna happen” buckets. And mine are falling into their respective lanes nicely with three on pace to be done on time or early, two that I should get about halfway finished by the end of the year, and one that’s hopeless. Which I’m okay with.
How’d you do? Was the first half of the year good to you? Or is procrastination the thief of 2017 so far?