It’s E3 week! I took my annual “I’m a single boy in my 30s” day off to catch the first and third party conferences on Monday and here’s what I learned.
- Best Announcement: Fallout 4
- Best Surprise: Fallout Shelter
- Other Announcements: Doom, Battlecry, The Elder Scrolls Legends, Dishonored 2
- Comments: Bethesda makes amazing games but they’re just not my cup of tea. I recognize how significant their game announcements were but the level of excitement just wasn’t there for me since chances are good I won’t play any of these games.
- NanusNation Grade: B
- Best Announcement: Halo 5, Rare Replay
- Best Surprise: Backwards compatibility
- Other Announcements: Recore, Elite controller, Fallout 4, EA Access, Forza 6, Dark Souls III, The Division, Rainbow Six Siege, Gigantic, ID@Xbox games (Tacoma, Ashen, Beyond Eyes, Cuphead), Xbox Game Preview, Rise of the Tome Raider, Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, Oculus/Hololens, Minecraft, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Gears 4
- Comments: Admittedly, I’m an Xbox One fanboy. With that said, Microsoft killed it this year: they have the best Fall exclusive games lineup, Halo 5 is more Halo, backwards compatibility was announced out of nowhere, Rare Replay is an amazing collection of old Rare Studios games, and Gears of War will always sell well. Their lineup just resonates better with me than any of the other companies.
- NanusNation Grade: A
- Electronic Arts
- Best Announcement: Mass Effect Andromeda
- Best Surprise: Unravel
- Other Announcements: Need for Speed, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Plants vs Zombies, NHL 16, PGA Tour, NBA Live 16, mobile games, FIFA 16, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, Madden 16, Star Wars: Battlefront
- Comments: EA can’t seem to get out of their own way in these conferences. They always seem to fall flat, focus on the wrong things, and come across like a quarterly meeting for investors. I’m not a Star Wars fan and you can only highlight sports franchise games so much. Mass Effect Andromeda may be the one game I’m the most excited for in 2016 though.
- NanusNation Grade: D
- Best Announcement: The Division
- Best Surprise: South Park: The Fractured But Whole
- Other Announcements: For Honor, The Crew, Trials Fusion, Anno 2205, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, Trackmania Turbo, Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, Ghost Recon Wildlands
- Comments: Ubisoft easily had the second best conference. I’m super excited for The Division in early 2016. The new South Park game was a complete surprise but if it’s half as good as the previous game, it will be amazing (side note: it took me longer than I’d like to admit to realize the subtitle is “fractured butthole”). Ghost Recon Wildlands looks gorgeous.
- NanusNation Grade: A-
- Best Announcement: Destiny: The Taken King
- Best Surprise: Horizon: Zero Dawn
- Other Announcements: The Last Guardian, Street Fighter V, No Man’s Sky, Dreams, Firewatch, Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy 7 (remake), Devolver bundle, Shenmue 3, Batman: Arkham Knight, Project Morpheus, PS Vue, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, Disney Infinity, Star Wars: Battlefront, Uncharted 4
- Comments: Sony’s conference was full of fan-service: every game Sony fanboys wanted, they mentioned. Unfortunately, they didn’t announce dates for almost any of them, so it makes me wonder if they’re mainly pipe dreams that disappear down the road. But also, these just aren’t games that appeal to me, which is why I think Microsoft had the better showing. They showcase Destiny though (I have close to 600 hours in that game on my Xbox) and Horizon: Zero Dawn looked stunning.
- NanusNation Grade: B
I’m sure that was way more video game information than you wanted but this is the one time of year I really get to geek out! I have a solid schedule in front of me for the remaining months of 2015. And 2016 is shaping up to be a special year for video games.
I’m going to attempt to make a better blog effort, so hopefully, these entries make their return! Not to mention I need to finish up my Hawaii entries! I still have 5 days of gorgeous pictures going unseen.
Have a great weekend! Hug a dad!