Happy New Years!
One of my favorite Christmas gifts this year is the Q&A a Day: 5-Year Journal. I enjoy it for the same reasons I read my previous resolution entries while typing the new one – it allows me to try and plan ahead while seeing where I’ve come, what I’ve accomplished, and where I’ve fallen short.
January 1st’s question is “What is your mission?”.
For 2015, my mission is to be more active and aggressive with my resolutions below. I upped the number of resolutions I’m keeping track of from 6 to 10 to push me more. One year, I’m going to 100% my list. So why not this year and this list?
So let’s see what we’ve got on deck this year.
- 15 Books: I hate leaving goals unfinished. So I’m taking another pass at reading 15 books this year. Originally, I wanted to make this more specific by re-reading Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series or reading the Halo books. But “Read A Series” is a boring resolution. It’s a yes/no goal. And you know how I feel about quantitative over qualitative…
- 90 Days: Here’s the health goal! On Cyber Monday, I picked up a copy of P90X for cheap. I’ve made a couple of runs at it in the past but always seem to flake out by week 4 or 5. I want to make it all 90 days this go ’round.
- 12 Parks: There are 47 South Carolina state parks. Last year’s goal got me to 13 parks, which means this year, I’ve got 34 new parks to choose from! And while this is another retread resolution, this year will require more effort since all of the closest parks to me have already been crossed off the list. My tent should get more of a workout this year.
- 2 Trips: There are so many options on my list of places I want to visit. I need to hit Hawaii and cross my 50th state off the list! I told my dad I want to visit him in Alaska during the winter months. Glacier National Park in Montana and Dry Tortugas National Park in the Florida Keys are places I missed on my cross-country trip. Clemson plays in Louisville this year and I’m doing my best to guilt-trip my family to venture with me to the land of Bourbon! So note to self… quit writing lists and actually get to a couple of these places!
- 200 Pages: 2015 marks the 5-year anniversary of quitting my job and traveling the country. I’ve had 2 composition notebooks sitting on my desk for 2 years, collecting dust instead of being filled with the stories of my trip. My goal? Completely fill at least one them and see if it’s any good to self publish.
- 2 Tattoos: I’ve always kicked around the idea of getting 2 tattoos. One representing my state. Another representing my school. This is my early candidate for resolution never to be completed.
- 1 Rental: After last year’s “Save $10,000” goal, my savings account has a nice chunk of change in it. Over two-thirds my annual salary, as a matter of fact. Yet each month, I get less than a whopping $1.00 in interest. Something about that seems off. So my goal this year is to look into buying some rental property for a better return on investment.
- 4 Season Tickets: I’m ready to hop back into the Clemson season ticket game. Dabo’s pulling all the right levers. Deshaun Watson is a super star in the making. Florida State and Notre Dame both come to town. My dad should be living in Clemson by then. The timing is just right.
- 100 Photo Pages: Not to be confused with my 200 page composition notebook goal, I’ve always wanted to chronicle my pictures from my cross-country trip in a well designed coffee table-esque picture book. 100 pages allows for roughly 2 pages per state. Easy enough, right?
- 4 Concerts: Why haven’t I thought to include a music goal before?! Motion City Soundtrack is coming to Charlotte in February. Fall Out Boy is releasing a new album in January that they’ll tour on this year. Marianas Trench is releasing a new album in the Spring and will hopefully venture out of Canada to the American South at some point. And I want to make an effort to step out of my comfort zone and see something new like Ingrid Michaelson.
What are your 2015 resolutions? Try to mix in a little fun with all of those serious goals you’re striving to hit!