- Lunch roulette this past week took us to Bar B Q King, a drive-in from the 1950s. All of the Food Network shows seem to have made the rounds here too. The food was good but the service was amazing. We couldn’t hear the person taking our order, so we were invited inside. “Inside” only consisted of a tiny table with three stools. Our server insisted on getting us free cherry lemon Sundrop refills, free hush puppies, calling my coworker “vegetable girl” for only ordering baked beans and hush puppies, and a sample of their pork. Healthy tips were left.
- My third Charlotte Turkey Trot went really well. I ran the 5K this year instead of the 8K and finished in 29:47. That beat my goal of under 10 minute miles, so I’m happy. There are roughly 3,500 who ran the 8K and 4,000 in the 5K, so it’s always a decent sized race. I’ve really enjoyed it the last couple of years and it’s becoming my own little Thanksgiving tradition. The long sleeved shirts are really quality too.
- I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app on my phone this last week. I’ve never been a big eater but I also know nothing about nutrition, so while the majority of what I eat may not be complete junk, it’s not super healthy either. To lose 1 pound a week, it’s got me eating 2,010 calories a day. That’s turning out to be a lot harder than anticipated. But I’ve always read that documenting everything that goes in your mouth is a big step in getting your daily intake under control. So we’ll see how well it works for me.
- I’m not a shopper and I refuse to go out in the Black Friday madness. But the great thing about a digital-heavy gaming console is that they advertise deals on the digital copies of their games. So I picked up Valiant Hearts on Thursday for my Xbox One. It’s a puzzle adventure game set around four characters in World War I and the dog that helps tie all of them together. I’ve only put an hour or so into it but it’s been excellent so far.
- This Thanksgiving, I was invited over to a coworker’s house for dinner. It was a first for me, as I was the only white party in attendance. I was jokingly told that I now know what it feels like for my coworker every day. But it’s nothing a little homemade chocolate chip cookies and an apple pie can’t fix. I may not be able to host my own Thanksgiving but I’ll show anyone up on the dessert front. It was a good, delicious day.
Welcome to December, guys! How’d it become the last month of the year already?