- Last Friday, the Matts (there are three in our department of 11 people) checked out Nom Nom Burger for lunch. It’s essentially an Asian take on an American burger joint. My first observation is that it’s an incredibly stupid name. My second observation is that the katsu burger was damn delicious. The burger itself is a “panko fried beef patty,” which pretty much means it’s a burger, deep fried, that tastes like an onion ring. So good! Even despite the ridiculous name…
- On Sunday, Harper and I headed to Lake Wateree State Park. It’s pretty much a poor man’s Dreher Island State Park which is a poor man’s regular state park. So color me not impressed. To be fair though, their main draw is the lake, fishing, and their boating access which I did none of. Harper and I went for a 0.7 mile walk on their only trail but she wound up getting overheated with the temperature touching 90. Needless to say, I’ve had better.
- Not to be outdone by the almost unprepared Russia, it looks like Brazil is going to struggle to hit their 2016 Summer Olympic deadlines. The irony of the whole situation, as the article points out, is that the IOC chose Rio de Janeiro over Chicago because the US wanted to use existing facilities and infrastructure to cut down on costs and Rio was the flashy locale. Just goes to show that politics, no matter what level, always seem to be rotten at their core.
- Wednesday night, I finished up Doctor Sleep, The Shining’s sequel, by Stephen King and it was absolutely outstanding. Definitely read it if you enjoyed the first Danny Torrence book. I’m on a good Stephen King run with my last three books being Doctor Sleep, Joyland (maybe his best book ever), and 11/26/63. Not sure what my next book will be.
- In much heavier news, one of my cousins took his life Tuesday evening. It’s incredibly heartbreaking as he was in his early 20s and very much full of life, as shown by the outpouring of Facebook notes, pictures, and memories being left by his friends and family. It’s my first – and hopefully only – experience with suicide and it’s a humbling, confusing, chilling range of emotions. I just can’t comprehend what makes someone consider that an option. Just remember to appreciate those around you. Godspeed Peter.
It’s been a long, hard week so I’m taking it easy in the Queen City. Enjoy your weekend!
P.S. Happy Birthday Papaw!