- I almost died (not really) Saturday. I had a four mile run to get in last weekend, so on Saturday, I decided to head out before eating lunch. I left at 1:30pm and within half a mile, I was already huffing and puffing. For the first time all summer, the heat decided to join the humidity. It took me close to 47 minutes to get back. I downed a Gatorade and a water, barely stopping for breath. Fortunately, the forecast this weekend is a bit more exercise friendly.
- Breaking Bad is back! AMC was airing a season five marathon Sunday before the last season premiere of the series aired Sunday night. Of course I spent the whole day being useless, catching up on last year’s episodes. This show is outstanding. Easily the best show I’ve ever seen. The new episode was incredibly hyped and somehow still topped the expectations. I’ve never seen a show’s writers nail the last five minutes of an episode better than these guys. #TreadLightly
- One of my biggest pet peeves is people who think they’re better than everyone else. Last week a coworker asked for restaurant suggestions in Charleston for their family’s vacation. Then earlier this week, I was told they wound up not going to Hymans Seafood because that’s “where the tourists go to eat.” I apologize for not offering up a more suitable cuisine choice. Hate to break the news but traveling to a city you don’t – and have never – live in to see the sights and sounds makes you the very basic definition of a tourist. It never hurt anyone to be a little more humble.
- Last computer bullet point, I promise! My new Dell computer came in the mail this week. I rolled the dice and went with a Windows 8 computer, figuring I like new technology and I’ll eventually have to learn it anyways. Whoa boy! Let’s just say I wasn’t fully prepared to take on that change quite yet. Some things seem a lot better. Other things seem incredibly counter intuitive with a non-touchscreen monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Think of it like the current Windows desktop but instead of a Start Menu, you use a tablet/smart phone-style interface to access anything on your computer, bouncing back and forth from one to the other. Apps on a desktop just feels off. It will definitely take some getting used to.
- Simple, unexpected compliments are the absolute best. I left work yesterday at 7pm, missed picking up my race packet for this weekend, and was quickly running out of time to type up this entry, eat dinner, walk Harper, and catch Burn Notice before the night was over. But as Harper and I are making our way back to the apartment, a girl maybe a couple of years younger than me says “Hey baby!” to Harper as she passes us. Then her friend/sister following her says “I think she’s talking to you and not the dog.” And with that, my day is instantly better.
I’ve got a 5K trail run (Trail Run Challenge) this weekend at the White Water Center with a couple of coworkers. The good news is that the temperature is supposed to be 66 at the start of the race. The bad news is that there’s also a 70% chance of rain. So looks like several hundred someones are getting wet! I would much rather run in the cold than hot though, so no complaints here.
Enjoy the last out-of-school weekend for most of the country!