- So last weekend proved to be way more expensive than I had planned on it being. My game plan for Saturday was grab a shower, swing by the office here at the apartment to sign my new lease, get my truck washed, grab some groceries, and head home to clean up my apartment. Then the leasing office was closed, my truck died after the car wash, spent money on a new battery, priced new tires, shopped for a headboard for my bed, drove 25 minutes across town to buy a new headboard at another World Market store, forgot all about going to the grocery store, and was too frustrated to do any cleaning. Hello functioning truck and newly decorated bedroom, goodbye paycheck.
- We had a luau themed potluck lunch at work this past week. Since I try to find a new cookie recipe related to each theme, I did some searching for some new cookies. Once I got through regular sugar cookies decorated in Hawaiian themes, I stumbled onto a chewy coconut cookie. I didn’t have huge expectations making them since I’m not overly crazy about coconut. But they wound up being amazing!
- Suits is back on TV! I love, love, love this show! It’s snarky, sarcastic, narcissistic, and smart. If you’re a chick, it’s got good looking guys (if you’re into that kind of thing). If you’re a guy, it’s got smoking hot girls (I’m way into that kind of thing). It’s fun watching writers portray two characters (Harvey & Mike) who are incredibly good at what they do for completely different reasons.
- Reality came crashing down around us Tuesday at work. My boss and a coworker were let go Monday night due to a costly mistake they made. I understand why it had to be done but it’s also a huge gut check at how quick dynamics can change. I know I’ve done my fair share of leaving places where I work and people I’ve enjoyed being around but I’m not sure I’ll ever get used to the idea in the working world that people just disappear one day and you never see them again. Bummer!
- On the other end of the emotional spectrum, I stumbled across an old college girlfriend on Facebook last night and had an excellent conversation catching up for the first time in five or six years. I’ve always credited her with planting the seed that eventually turned the quiet, conservative kid into the one comfortable enough to peek out of my shell, see other perspectives, and go out on a limb a bit to take some fun adventures. I still rock my “Forget the box, just think outside” t-shirt from her because I love the idea. It’s fun being nostalgic and catching up to see how each of us got to where we’re at now. But it also makes me smile being able to talk to someone who’s had that big of an impact on me again. Life’s good.
Taking a relatively unplanned trip back down to SC this weekend to spend entirely too much money on truck tires. My tires made it over 78,000 miles and have been with me around the entire country, so I’d say I got my money’s worth out of them. Let’s hope the next set share similar adventures.
Enjoy your weekend, people.