- I don’t like playing politics at work. In one quick conversation this week, I’ve almost had everything I’ve enjoyed about this job pulled out from underneath me. And for once, I’ve had a desire to fight back for what I’ve got instead of closing up shop to find a new job. I also learned I’ve got two vice presidents I work for willing to go to bat on my behalf. That’s an amazing feeling. I like what I’ve got going here.
- It’s ridiculous how big National Signing Day has become. It’s weird for college football fans to hang on the words and promises of 17 and 18 year old high school players. Yet there I was, updating Twitter at work, to keep tabs on Clemson and South Carolina. Clemson wound up with 1 5-star, 10 4-stars, and 23 total recruits. South Carolina had 4 4-stars and 21 recruits. It makes you excited for the upcoming season, despite the very real numbers indicating that 42% of the top talent fizzles out. The glass is half full in February. Talk to me again in August.
- Fall Out Boy is back. They have a new single, a new album in May, and a new US tour this summer. They’re in Charlotte June 1st. Tickets go on sale Saturday at 10AM. I’m buying two and it’ll take a natural disaster or miracle to keep me away from the Fillmore that night. Everyone’s got their one band they grew up with. Fall Out Boy is mine. And they’re finally back.
- There’s something about Silver Linings Playbook that just resonates with me. I saw it again last Saturday. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is but I just connect with that movie. Just like American Beauty, (500) Days of Summer, and Stranger than Fiction. I like knowing there’s something or someone out there to balance out my quirks, faults, and craziness.
- I’m surprisingly emotional about finishing up my handwritten journal. I started 01/01/2012 and wrote a full page every day since then, filling two composition notebooks. It took a lot of time out of my day that I won’t miss giving up. But I love how I can go back to any day and relive it in great detail. It’s carried me through a bad job and now a good job. Through a bad crush and now a good crush. A move to Charlotte. A trip to California. I’ll miss having the details, thoughts, and emotions I can’t… or won’t… put online. But it’s got to come to a close at some point. And I’m at an amazing place in life right now, so it’s as good a time as any. My first line? “Happy 2012!” And the last? “I’m a lucky boy.” See ya, journal.
Concert tickets Saturday. Volunteering Sunday. Chores, reading, dog park trips, my last San Diego blog entries, and secret projects in between. Have a great weekend!