- Argo was an excellent movie! Ben Affleck produced, directed, and starred in it. He’s turning into quite the Hollywood powerhouse after doing the same in The Town two years ago. During the credits, they compared photos from the actual events with still shots from the movie and it was incredible how spot on the scenes were. I’d highly recommend going to see this movie, whether you were around during the events or if you’re going for the history lesson. Excellent stuff.
- Today’s society is ridiculously dependent on cell phones. My step brother’s family and in-laws flew into Charlotte from Brazil this past Saturday. It was funny watching them at breakfast. After everyone had eaten, my step brother and his brother in law were on their phones. Then back at my place, his mother in law and wife joined the tech party. They were joking about how any time they found a WiFi hotspot in Brazil, everyone would rush to grab their phones. But what really got me was on Sunday. I was driving to get my haircut and I saw three teenage boys walking together on the sidewalk. They all had their heads buried in their phones instead of talking to each other. It’s amazing to think that 15 years ago, you had to fend for yourself when you left the house instead of relying on Apple to do the work for you.
- I love me some Halloween. Everyone at work loved the costume. Sadly, I didn’t win any prizes. Next year, I’m going scary I think. No one dressed up as anything scary! Best compliment was “For a quiet guy, you’re pretty outgoing.” So fun!
- The Discovery Channel has perfected the business model of beating a dead horse all the way to the bank. It started with Dirty Jobs. Then they asked “What’s a crazy job to document?” Voila, Deadliest Catch was born. Then they thought “Hey! What else do they do in Alaska?” which led to Gold Rush. “Where else can you find gold in Alaska?” prompted Bering Sea Gold. Then “What do the Bering Sea Gold guys do when it’s cold in the winter?” created Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice. Logically, “Where else do they have gold?” led to Jungle Gold. It blows my mind how many of these guys are on the show to try and earn their way out of debt. The two
idiotsguys on Jungle Gold have over a million dollars in debt because they got stuck in the housing bubble wheeling and dealing houses. So clearly, going to Ghana to strike it rich in the gold mining industry is the best idea. I won’t lie though… I’m a sucker for Gold Rush and Deadliest Catch.
- A dog’s sense of smell can tell time. I (finally) got around to picking back up my book, Inside of a Dog.
But trained dogs don’t just notice a smell. They notice the change in a smell over time. […] The track you left as you exited the room has more smell in it than the one right before it; thus your path is reconstructed. Scent marks time.
It’s birthday weekend! Which means I get to see Clemson play Duke in Durham on Saturday and a 25 hour day on my birthday Sunday. Enjoy your start to the best month of the year!