Overwhelmed – Part III

My final entry for DC! Let’s make it a good one!

I almost passed on writing this entry this morning, as I wasn’t really feeling awake or aware enough to do it justice. But then I went to grab some breakfast in the hotel lobby and I had the pleasure of spending my morning with some colorful characters. It was like country had gone to the big town to stay in the fancy mo-tel.

Nothing like F bombs flying from everyone (dad to daughter, daughter to aunt, aunt to her sons) and cellulite poured into sweatpants (of the Walmart variety, I’m sure) to wake you up in the morning. Here’s a hint… that second trip to the breakfast counter for another waffle, sausage, and eggs isn’t going to do you any favors. At least dad was going to make sure someone “F—ing got his GED before I’m through with him.” Preach it, papa. From the heart.

And there I was, huddled at my table with my bagel, yogurt, and orange juice with my nose stuck in Animal Farm by George Orwell. I’m not a betting kind of guy, but I almost could be convinced to wager some money that there wasn’t a more diverse hotel breakfast room at that time in all America.


Given how bad Washington DC whooped me on Friday, I thought I’d take it a little easier on Saturday. Sure, there would be things I wanted to see but wouldn’t be able to get to but hopefully, it would make the things I did see a lot more enjoyable than Friday afternoon.

I slept in a little later and made it to the Metro around 9:00AM (what a difference an hour makes). That put me downtown a little after 9:30AM. I went out to the Old Post Office Tower to start the day. Honestly, I had no idea what this was, what the significance of it might be, or really anything other than I knew it was a stamp in my US Parks passport. There wasn’t much to it, really. It’s the building the Post Office used to be housed in. It’s also the third tallest structure in Washington – the first being the Washington Monument. You can take a trip up to the observation deck and get an overview of the city. But it was insanely cold and windy, so I didn’t spend too much time up there. There really wasn’t much else to it. The building still houses offices and a food court at the bottom. So maybe 30 minutes, in and out. Pretty painless.

From there, I went back to the White House visitors’ center so I could get my White House passport stamp and check out the exhibits. The information was pretty cool. There were exhibits up detailing a lot of the main floors and rooms in the WH floor plan, talking about the children of the WH, gifts given and received, and just the entire effort that goes into being the President and what the WH’s purpose is in all of it. And I needed to get some pictures of the White House during the day! So across the street I went. They had the closest sidewalk closed down for the first 10 or so minutes I was there. Makes me curious if the President was moving around somewhere on the grounds. It also make me wonder how complex that must be to coordinate and how often there are “fake” closures to throw off the location of any number of important figures. I bet that’s a stressful job.

After that came the National Archives. “Why there?” you might be asking. Um… because I can now say I’ve seen the original Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. Absolutely incredible to see the real documents. So, so much history in those 6 sheets of paper. They’re permanently on display in the Rotunda. And the guards on duty were no joke. At least five in the room the whole time. The documents were in these framed boxes with specific lighting. If you had your hand on the frame, leaning over, I think you were good. But the second you touched the glass, at least one of the guards was on you, saying something. Rightfully so, but still crazy to watch. They also had one of the four original Magna Carta copies. I was a little confused why that was there at first, seeing as how it’s older than our entire country. But it seems one of the royal families it was passed down through donated it to the Smithsonian. It blew me away at how selfless of an act that would be. If I owned an original document that was that important to so many people and countries, would I be able to just hand it over? I’m not so sure. Very cool place though!

I’d been following my list of stops (planned down to the Metro stations I needed to take) pretty closely up until this point. I strayed a little after the Archives. And it probably cost me a tour I wanted to take later on. But I’ve got to have something to do next time I go, right? Instead of going over to the Smithsonian museums, I headed northwest to visit Union Station. I don’t really have an interest in trains but it seems like everyone’s heard the name before. So I had to go see it just to say I have been. All it is now is a glorified mall inside of an old building. It’s still an active train station, but there’s nothing really “special” about it. It is an impressive building though.

Okay. No playing this time. I was really going to go check out the Smithsonian Castle and at least one of the Museums. The castle essentially serves as the visitor center for the entire museum system. They had tiny bits and pieces on display from all of the individual museums to kind of give a flavor of what would be interesting to go see. The tomb of James Smithson is also here.

Smithson’s connection with the museum is an intriguing one. He was a British chemist who had wound up with a sizable fortune by the time of his death. It was all left to his nephew with a stipulation – if he died without any heirs of his own, the money would go “to the United States of America, to found at Washington, an establishment for the increase and diffusion of knowledge among men.” Just odd, since Smithson had never been to the United States. And really had no ties to the country. No one’s still sure why he requested what he did. Such an unusual story to the beginning of our major museum system.

I hopped across the Mall to the National Museum of American History. I’m more of a pop-culture kind of person than a geology or art person. I was a little disappointed in how wide open the museum was. I understand they switch out a lot of the exhibits on a regular basis, but still. It seems like there was so much room for so many more things to be seen. The first exhibit (a permanent one) I saw was the Star-Spangled Banner. As in, the flag that actually inspired Francis Scott Key to pen the National Anthem. Completely unreal. It’s HUGE! 30 feet by 34 feet. And the only reason it’s that small is because when it was on display by previous owners, they used to cut pieces off of one end for souvenirs. It originally was 30 feet by 42 feet. Amazing! I then checked out the Entertainment section of the museum. I saw original Charlie Brown panels drawn by Charles Schulz. A real Kermit puppet. The ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz. A quirky collection of things, but cool none the less. They also had an exhibit dedicated to the art of pop-up books. I also learned that the United States was actually in the running to build a Super Collider, like the one that caused such a stir in Europe. I never knew that! They quit partially through construction in Texas due to running out of money. The things you learn. I’m going to be a trivia night goldmine after this trip is over.

At this point, it was a little after 4PM. I had wanted to see about touring the US Capitol and at least getting to their visitor center for my passport stamp. So I left the museum and started walking down the Mall. I thought I’d get there quicker, but everything looks so close there because of the massive size of the buildings. But in all honesty, it was probably a mile away. So I didn’t get there until 4:30PM, which was the closing time for everything according to one of the cops there. This is the stop I probably missed out on because of Union Station. But I did get some good pictures. The US Capitol is one of the coolest buildings, I think. I’m not sure what it is but something about it stands out and is incredibly different than the other DC buildings.

That last picture is probably one of my top five favorite pictures on the trip. Very cool to see the Capitol lit up at dusk.

I’ve also got a “Shame on Me” story with the US Capitol. When I got to it and found out they were closed, I started walking to the other side of it. And this black guy in super baggy clothes, with rap playing on is iPod so loud I could hear it, started walking stride for stride with me, pretty close. When we both got to the back side, he peeled off and went to talk to one of the cops. I had stopped to take pictures when he comes up to me. Having absolutely no idea what to expect from him, he takes his earphones out and says “Man, it’s closed for the day! The George Washington thing (which I assume he meant the Apotheosis of Washington) in the Capitol was the last thing I wanted to see on my trip! Too bad.” Dude totally didn’t give off the appearance of someone who was interested at all in things like that around DC. And I kicked myself for making that kind of judgment call. But good for you, dude. I hope you get back to the Capitol to see some George Washington one day.

Also, I never knew how close the proximity was but the Supreme Court was right across the street. Again, it was closed up but that wouldn’t stop the picture taking!

With dark setting in, I made my way back to the Metro station (I’ll give you one guess which one). I said goodbye to downtown Washington DC and peaced out for the last time. I think I saw more interesting things on Friday but Saturday was definitely more laid back and easier on the body and mind. And even with the Metro rides, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if I had walked at least 10 miles each day. My ankles are still feeling the soreness from the abuse DC put on them.

I had one more stop to make on Sunday before leaving the DC area, so I wasn’t completely done. But as far as the touring the downtown area, all of the monuments, and sight seeing went, I got most of what I wanted to see in. I missed out on Arlington National Cemetery, the FDR Memorial, Thomas Jefferson Memorial, and Theodore Roosevelt Memorial just to name a few. I had an amazing time though. It’s such an amazing city! And it’s definitely a possibility of places I’d consider moving to after I’m done goofing off and traveling around. I feel like you could never, ever see it all, which is completely different from the feel of the other big cities I’ve been to so far.

I’m glad I went!

And I hope everyone’s have a great start to their week!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Overwhelmed – Part III

  1. Told you. Washington is never the same each time you visit. They keep it changing all the time. You’ll have to your me around there one day. Drive careful as you leave!

  2. Shyanne says:

    NaNu (Matthew?),

    I hate to admit it, but I’m another one of those who reads but does not post. I wanted to reply many times but something I needed to do would catch my attention. I found your blog from your mom’s site. I have been reading her blog and her Funds for Writers for about a year. When I saw the post about you, I had to join in. My son quit his job three years ago to find himself. He hasn’t been counting the states but he has been camping in many of them, mostly out west. He fell in love in LA (watch out Hope) and began dating a young lady about 2 and half years ago. He is 31 and his birthday is also in November. He’s only a few years older than you are. I keep bugging him to write like you are but he is not sure if writing is what he wants now. He got a degree in English and worked at the professional theater in our town for about 3 years. He worked the lights and behind the scenes when they had plays or when entertainers came through.

    Anyway, he and his girlfriend have had a long distance relationship since then. We live in Georgia so they have been taking turns visiting each other. She is in show business, and he does temp work. He finally decided to move to LA last month and left about 8 days ago. He took 4 days and 3 nights to drive out. I am going to email him your blog address and ask him to check it out and hopefully while he is in LA finding himself he will record it.

    I feel a kindred with your mom in a way. No matter how old my kids get, I will always be concerned. I made him text me three times a day on his trip to LA and let me know where he was staying. He is a good son and indulged me to keep me from worrying. I also have a daughter who is 32 but she is settled in GA with me. We parents just want our kids to be happy. It is so good for you to do what you are doing! I still think it is easier for guys to do it. It would be so dangerous for a young woman to travel alone and camp. It’s not fair, but it’s the truth. I’m glad it’s my son instead of my daughter wanting to stretch his wings. Had he not met someone he says he would probably be back east, just not here in GA or in our hometown. He still hasn’t found himself but he is going to stay in LA for a few years and work for a while and save money. He told his girlfriend he would stay in California but not in LA forever.

    I hope you find what you are looking for, even though you probably don’t know what you’re looking for. I think it is great that young people do this. Do not get stuck in a job and before you know it you are 55 and although you might be able to still travel, it would not be the same. I have enjoyed your blog very much. It always helps to see someone else experiencing sort of the same thing you are.

    Thank you for letting us take this trip with you. I look forward to reading your book.


    • Thanks for the response and for following along, Shyanne!

      I hope your son finds what he’s looking for! I understand the feelings about writing. When I first started, I struggled with it. I keep a hand-written journal, this blog, and keep my twitter and facebook pages updated. In the beginning, I either felt like I didn’t have anything worthwhile to say or I felt like I was just repeating myself three times over in the journal, blog, and twitter. But somewhere along the way, everything sort of fell into place. And I’m glad I stuck it out. It might not mean that much right now, but I have a feeling down the road, the documentation from start to finish is going to be something I really enjoy learning from and sharing with family and friends.

      Let him know if he does document it, I’d be more than happy to return the favor and follow along on his ride. It’s exciting seeing other people branch out and try to experience a lot of the things I’ve had the chance to see. I wish you both the best!

  3. Bonnie says:

    Glad you enjoyed DC, Matthew. Sorry you didn’t get to see the Capitol. Just means you’ll have to take a trip back. Jefferson Monument and Vietnam Memorial well worth your time. Last time we went, we had to stand in line at the Capitol at 9am to get an appt to come back at 2. The Washington Monument was the same way, so we missed that. This was due to 9/11 precautions. Not sure they still do that. We went to the Museum of American History on our trip with Nick. No trip to Wash however is complete for me without the Museum of Natural History. It is so much more than geology. Dinosaurs, cockroaches, Indians and the Hope Diamond are my standout memories. Glad you got a lesson in not prejudging people. I believe in making an effort to see more to people than our first impressions. All of us have more in common than our differences.

  4. Bonnie says:

    Thanks again for sharing your experience and the awesome photos!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s