If you hold on for one more day, things’ll go your way. And it’ll be Saturday.
- Sight: Lucy learned “down.” Kind of. Assuming saying “Lucy, down. Down. Down. Down. Down. Down. Down. Down. Down. Down. Down. Lay down. Lay down. Down. Down!” while also trying to tell Harper that she’s a good girl for perfectly laying down for 45 straight seconds of commands means she has learned it. But eventually, she lays her stubborn butt down. That brings her number of tricks up to “sit”, “down”, and “stay.” We’re slowly getting there.
- Sound: I bought Paramore’s new album, After Laughter, the week it was released. But I’m just now getting around to listening to it for some reason. And I love it! It’s a very calm, relaxing album. Definitely one that will stay on repeat on the work iPod. It’s also very 80s-tinged, like seemingly everything else lately. But that ain’t a bad thing. Huge fan of Forgiveness, so give it a listen!
- Taste: Rant time! I have a Bojangles $8.99 coupon for an 8 piece chicken box with 4 biscuits. I went to pick one up Saturday, so that I could stretch it into a couple nights’ worth of dinner. But when I get up to order, I was told “We don’t have anything but wings and thighs right now. Sorry.” Uh. What? How does a chicken fast food chain not have… chicken? No one’s ordering 8 thighs. Get the F out of here. So I stubbornly went to Cookout instead. Watermelon milkshakes are my jam! Side note… Lunch Roulette this week was Pollo Royal. It’s a super sketchy place with delicious fried chicken.
- Feel: I was all prepared to write about how conflicted I’ve been lately. With dating. With coworkers. With finances. With my house. With Lucy. But Thursday evening changed that. Something I had planned worked out really well. And I took Harper to Park Road Park (…nope, not confusing at all) because it finally wasn’t a million degrees and to walk around the lake where there was a saxophonist jamming out. So it was a good day. We’ll save the #emo stuff for another week.
And with that, we say goodbye to July!
And we back!
- Sight: Guess who started watching Game of Thrones? This guy! I’m only seven episodes in, so I still have a ways to go but I’m enjoying it so far. I’ve never been a big high fantasy fan but somehow, I’m loving the most high fantasy, high profile TV show (Game of Thrones) and video game (The Witcher 3) right now. Arya is my favorite. She’s a little badass.
- Sound: So any concert I go to, I try to make a playlist of the setlist the show so I’ve got a good feel for what’s coming up. Last November, I saw Yellowcard on their final tour (RIP) and I’ve been FEELING that playlist lately. Believe. Lights and Sounds. Rest in Peace. Light Up The Sky. Sing for Me. October Nights. Hang You Up. Nearly every song from that setlist is just hitting the right spot right now. This one still gives me goosebumps
- Taste: Lunch Roulette this week was a classic, Mr. K’s. So cheeseburger and chili cheese fries it was! I also whipped up a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies last weekend. I’ve never been a huge oatmeal raisin fan but adorable white girls and coworkers enjoy them. And sometimes, you just gotta give the people what they want.
- Feel: Currently, I’m miserable. Before taking Harper to the park, the vision got spotty in my left eye. So I popped some quick Excederin, downed a large McDonald’s sweet tea, and buckled down for the oncoming migraine. Fortunately, I caught it quick enough so I didn’t completely die when walking Harper. But they’re still not very fun and I’m feeling the after effects now. By the time you read this though, I should be all good!
I’m still not sold on the format of this bad boy yet. It feels a bit cheesy. But I’ll stick with it for awhile and see what works and what doesn’t. Any suggestions or things you’d like to see?
Have a happy Friday!
In my last post, I mentioned how I wanted to get back into a routine of writing regularly again.
I have a feeling this is going to be a work in progress. I asked San Diego (who’s actually now San Francisco but whatever… don’t care! Nicknames don’t change) for some advice. But one of them was legitimately a weekly account of trying to keep a plant alive.
So here we are.
For sure, not doing that.
- Sight: Chris D’Elia’s new special, Man on Fire, came out June 27th and it’s hilarious. If you’re a fan of stand up comedy and have an hour, give it a shot.
- Sound: A couple of weeks ago, my Nashville BFF pointed me Jordan Davis’ way under the premise that his new single is “country pop punk.” Uh. Say no more, please. Just listen.
- Taste: Bar-B-Q King was the Lunch Roulette roll this past Tuesday. I had the 1/4 bar-b-q chicken tray. Delicious, as always. I also met some coworkers at Carolina Ale House Wednesday night and had the Buffalo Blue Burger.
- Feel: The last couple of weeks have been incredibly frustrating. I got an awesome new puppy Lucy… who’s incredibly stubborn and isn’t doing a great job listening to training. I love my job… but up until about Tuesday, it’s been kicking my butt. I’m totally into an adorable girl… who only wants to be friends. Maybe it’s time to take the Jessica Day approach and be overly optimistic? Lucy kinda sits on command if I’m holding food, the job has finally settled down a bit, and I may have promised the girl homemade cookies this weekend. What can go wrong?
I started my What I Learned entry back in July 2012 (what?!?!) and I thought it’d be appropriate to try something new for the next five years. So what do you think? And how was your week?
Hey strangers! It’s been awhile.
Even if I am a couple of weeks late, I still wanted to get my 1st quarter update in. This is as much to keep me accountable as it is to selfishly update you on how I’m doing this year. Better late than never, right? So let’s check in on our new homeowner!
- 15 Books:
- 1Q projection – 3.75
- 1Q actual – 3
- Just a tiny bit behind schedule. I started the year with The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer, the author of the Twilight series. The story was surprisingly good. I followed that up with The Passenger by Lisa Lutz. It’s a book I picked up on a whim at Barnes and Noble that I wound up really pleased with. And my last of the quarter was A Dog’s Purpose by Bruce Cameron. All worthy of 4 stars on my Goodreads page. Right now, I’m reading through The Fireman by Joe Hill. The good news is that since the weather’s nice, my lunch break shifts outside to a park bench with my book every day.
- 365 Miles:
- 1Q projection – 91.25
- 1Q actual – 30.05
- So… about that goal… After spending the holidays at home, my disease dumpster of a 1 year old nephew gave me a virus cocktail of sickness. So throughout almost all of January and February, I didn’t put any mileage in. Fortunately, I was able to run in March to be ready-ish enough for my 10th consecutive Bridge Run on April 1. I didn’t have a great time (1:15:50) but I did much better than I thought I’d do with little training. I’ve also signed up for a 5K this coming Saturday to help keep my motivation and feet moving in the right direction.
- 4 House Projects:
- 1Q projection – 1
- 1Q actual – 1
- So far, so good! A week ago, I had my backyard fenced in. I ordered 200 periwinkle plants to cover the slope of my backyard a while back too, so next quarter looks to be on track too, as long as I get them planted before July. Painting the house may be on the back burner until my 12 month walk through. I’m still debating on sodding the backyard vs. seeding it some more. And my next project is going to be hanging pictures. My bank account needs a break.
- 83% LTV:
- 1Q projection – 84.5%
- 1Q actual – 84.6%
- To be perfectly honest, I’m not sure why I set this goal at 83%. I closed on the house January 23rd and put my 15% down. So this is officially my first post as a homeowner. I didn’t have a February payment but I’ve put a little extra into my monthly payment for March and April. I’m still a little behind but I’m not worried about this getting out of reach yet. Once I get some of my appliances or furniture paid off, I’ll have some extra money to put towards my payment then as well. For now, I’ll just keep plugging away.
- 1 Website:
- 1Q projection – Something, anything…
- 1Q actual – Nothing
- The early indication is that this is the goal to slowly get away from me. The bad news is that by moving into the house, I’m almost never on my computer anymore. The good news is that in the move, I found a couple of binders (of notes… not of women, Mitt Romney) from online classes I took several years ago on websites and databases. By the next entry, I’m going to try and have a log in screen that at least works for my brother and I.
- 12,000 Gamerscore:
- 1Q projection – 3000
- 1Q actual – 1235
- I’m not on pace after the first quarter but my game playing has gone through the roof since moving into the new house. I beat Gears of War 4. I beat Watch Dogs 2. I’ve beat about half of Halo Wars 2. I’ve picked up almost 200 points from Ryse: Son of Rome. I snagged a few achievements from Destiny I was missing. Going forward, I picked up the Witcher 3 from Microsoft’s Spring Sale. I want to finish Halo Wars 2 and Ryse. I want to pick up Mass Effect: Andromeda when it goes on sale. Destiny 2 comes out this September. I’ve got plenty of time.
Not a great start to the 1st quarter of 2017 but it’s not terrible either. With the exception of the website, I’ve at least put forth some effort into every goal. Nothing’s completely out of reach yet, which I haven’t always been able to say in my previous 1st quarter entries. So I’m optimistic heading into the spring and summer.
How are your goals shaping up?